Friday, January 31, 2014

Profession Day Two


I arrived at Saint Anthony’s Church for the Missionaries of the Poor of Jesus Christ’s yearly Profession of Vows. I was relieved when we got there bursting out of a truck with eight Paraguayans. We had to make due for the short trip to the church and I shared the back bench of the extended cab truck with five female Formados (sisters in formation). In Paraguay the bed of the truck is passenger space, but in Brazil the police are not as liberal about using the outside of the vehicle as seating.  All told there were eight of us squeezed together, which also is not uncommon in Paraguay.  Those crammed in the truck and the thirty others from Asuncion Paraguay greeted me warmly with smiles and hugs that morning. They are a sweet group of people and I was touched to be so energetically embraced after their 10 hours overnight bus trip.

Across the parking lot was the side entrance to the church and the walkways in front were filled with a mix of brothers, sisters, and friends. The doors remained closed as the novices and choir rehearsed the ceremony in private, but a flood of the music permeated the walls and closed doors of the church. I spotted a car load from Governador Valadares, the first city I stayed in. Among them was my fellow American friend Kristin, who had been teaching sewing techniques to the monastic sisters in that same city. I laughed when I saw Andrea, I had not seen him since October, and he looked uncomfortable for about a second as he lifting his heavy torso from the back seat of the car. He is a lay member of the order, sings at church with the brothers, and helps greatly with activates for the poor and the youth. He is always with a light exuberance and springy wit.  He laughed when he saw me and with my improved Portuguese we exchanged greetings.

The church doors opened and the waiting crowd pushed in to find seats. I heard the confused clatter from inside as I stood at the back of the swelled line. I felt no rush so I looked for friends before entering myself. When I did enter I took some picture of the practice as I found a pew in the second tier of seating. It was an hour until the ceremony but the church was almost filled. I saw Brother Gabriel singing in the choir to the left of the altar.

Br. Gabriel was the first member of the order I met in Brazil right off the plane. He and I had many adventures in the initial two months of my mission. He set up a classroom for me to learn entry level Portuguese, took me on all the missions, and even nursed me back to health after my first Brazilian flu. I feel that when I was struggling with my past he knew it. He opened the door by saying, “You have sadness in your eyes and your soul is very tired. We talked a lot about the freedom God wants us to feel right now, of letting go of the past, be it painful or difficult. That forgiveness from God is a complete gift and we have no reason to limit God, but because we have trouble forgiving and loving ourselves and others, we think God is the same way.  Even if many of our conversation required google translator I valued his wisdom very much. I am excited that I will be in Kansas City to greet him when he arrives early this summer.

I sat down and waited for the ceremony to start, and when I saw Kristen I waved her over to sit with me. She was tired from the trip and the seemly endless energy of our Brazilian friends. It is common for them to spend long hours with each other and, as I have seen, when they are together no one ever stops, be it dancing, working, playing, or setting up for an event.

Bishop Dom Pedro Stringing walked into the church from the side door and was met by many people eager to welcome him. He sponsored the cofounders Fr. Gilson and Sister Servant for their official charter as a Religious order in the Catholic Church. He drew quite a crowd as he made his way out the front doors to take his place in the line of procession outside. The start of the Profession was minutes away and I could see though the textured glass windows the blur of hurried adjustments.  The building was now standing room only and a crowd of parents and friends gathers along the center aisle ready to take photos. The choir stood silent for the signal and we were instructed to be silent as well. The choir began and those professing walked into the church in two columns, brothers on the left and the white veiled sisters on the right. For them this is a marriage ceremony and a graduation combined. 

The journey takes many years to be ready to serve as a brother or sister. In the beginning they learn about the order and religious life on missions and in “vocational experiences”.  The next step they decide to become vocationals and, leaving there past lives, move into houses of the religious.  They study and learn the formation of the order, and then it is decided mutually if they are ready to announce their intent to continue the road to religious life. During a mass many witness as they are presented and put on a heavy brown shirt with the order’s crest, it is their first habit and will be worn at all times during the day and when not in their houses.  It is a major step in letting go of the outside world and preparing for a life not focused on comforts and obedience. There are classes to complete on the liturgy, behavior, the Catholic Church, and the order. Also requirements for assisting in the sacraments, in the Mass, and pastoral work, along with scheduled daily prayer and work. It is two or three years before they are ready from the novice stage, but already a change is evident.

A novice brother or sister spends a year in their respective novice house isolated from technology, phones, and most of the modern world. They are given a new name in the order and only use their birth names on government documents. They do not stop mission work with the poor and are not cloistered from human contact. It is a time of deep prayer and reflection combined with instruction and peace. When I visited the houses of the novices, the peace was so palatable it saturated the buildings and the grounds incorporated both nature and spirit. After they are sent to any number of locations, this is their “mission year” and they are as brothers or sister working in the company of more seasoned religious. At the completion of their mission year they will return the novice houses in preparation of the Profession Ceremony. It is a marked change in these men and woman from Formandos to Professed Religious, but they don’t lose themselves, they aren’t denied personalities, robotic, or thoughtless. I have met many who are greatly in tune with themselves and have a strength that supersedes them. They seem to help others simply with their presence in counseling, helping, leading, and listening. They do know many of the life’s problems and their backgrounds are varied. They are still human with fears, hang ups, hardships, and conflict, but are more adapt at detaching from these issues in the light of peace and faith.

The parents are in a restrained fervor clicking their cameras, phones, and tablets as the procession walks to the Altar. The professing take their seats, Fr. Gilson stands by his chair in front of the Altar, and the other distinguished members take their seats against the wall. Under the statue of the risen Jesus the ceremony begins as the choir transitions from the open song. The professing stand and walk as their names are called to the space before Fr. Gilson. They form two rows, the sisters to the right and the brothers to the left, and Fr. Gilson stands as “vows” portion of the ceremony begins. The novices lay prostrate on the ground in an act of humility to God for this is the more solemn promise of their lives. The choir sang over them and the vows conclude with restrained elation from all in the church, so much emotion was present that I saw many men and woman with tears in their eyes at this beautiful moment.

The remainder of the ceremony confirmed their vows with material representations, to affirm by sight what was true in their hearts. First, all of the newly professed took a white candle to the large Easter candle that represents the light of Christ. In ordered pairs of equal homage one brother and one sister would light their candles at the same time. This act is much like a marriage ceremony, and each sister is the bride of Christ, and each brother is joined eternally to the Church. They return to the rows and are given their respective adornments for the habits they wear. The sisters and the brothers are given rope belts to exchange for the white cotton rope belts worn only by novices. The newly professed are assisted by senior sisters and cover the white veils with the final black veils of this order. Father Gilson is seated as they come forward and he crowns them green wreaths with white flowers.  The brothers come forward and receive the circular brown skull cap distinctive to Franciscans. And finally a cross to be worn around their necks is given to the newly professed. Congratulations are delivered and the newly professed are embraced by all who were on the Altar, the Priests who assisted the order in various locations, the Bishop Dom Pedro, Fr. Rafael (the second priest in the order), and Father Gilson.  Mass was celebrated by the Bishop and afterwards was a short reception.

The hurry after mass was close to an emergency evacuation. Many of the brothers and sisters that came to see the event had buses arriving at the station in an hour or a half hour. Even I discovered that my bus was leaving at 8:30 PM only two hours later. I hugged Fr. Gilson as he was quickly exiting the church, and while I was getting directions to the train station.  Before I got to the reception I talked to twenty or more people that I had meet from all over Brazil. When I arrived the tables were mostly empty and the food and soft drinks were being consolidated. I wasn’t that hungry, but I knew that Brother Benjamin and Brother Gabriel would be around, because both were staying in Cascavel.

Brother Benjamin is from Brazil, but is an American citizen. He will be the first brother in Kansas City Missouri to help set up the house for the other four brother set to arrive sometime early this summer. When I meet him in 2011 he was in the Formado stage of the religious path. We became friends when I begin spending time with the Sisters the Poor of Jesus Christ in Kansas City, Kansas.

I asked another brother where Br. Benjamin  was and the Brother quickly responded. “Oh, Saint Benjamin, he’s around somewhere.”

I found “Saint” Benjamin cleaning the trash baskets in the restroom. He had a giant black sack and was rushing to get everyone set to go. “Brother how are you!” He smiles and walked with me over to the other trash bags and said, “Do you like Brazilian Hot Dogs.” I laughed and told him they were pretty good.

He smiled and said, “Then we have one.”

We talked for ten minutes about the plans for the house in the United States, and how the sisters in the U.S. were doing. Then I helped clean up and we took out the trash bags. I took some pictures of Br. Benjamin playing Brazilian basketball, which is a joke for putting out the trash. In Brazil they have metal racks that stand five foot tall to prevent animals from getting into the trash; it is where you stack the garbage. Brother asked why I was taking pictures and I said, “I can never get a normal picture of you, so I guess a picture of Saint Benjamin taking out the trash will do.”

He muttered and shook his head, “Saint Benjamin.”

Across the street was Brother Gabriel and I waved him over. We took a couple pictures and I had to go.

I asked Br. Gabriel when he was going to the States.

He smiled, “I think I will go with you.” Then he laughed.

“I would like that. I’ll send you my flight number.” 
We both laughed. I said good bye, and then I set off for the train station on foot.
 Sisters After their Vows
 Brother Gabriel to the Left and Brother Benjamin to the right - I will never get a good picture of him.
 My friends from Asuncion Paraguay
 Novices lining up the final practice run
 Father Gilson during the Profession
 The Vows
 Changing Rope Belts
 Brothers receive caps
 Sisters Receive new Veils
 The Sisters are crowned with weaths
 Enjoying a Brazilian Hot dog - and still not good picture
 "Saint" Br. Benjamin takes out the trash

No comments:

Post a Comment