Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Mission in Paraguay Part Two: Continuing from November


Scattered by the thick woven clouds the morning sun washed the narrow streets with a dim fluorescence that accentuated the green in everything. I walked with Brother Junipero and three “Vocationals” through the jutting produce stands, parked cars, and motor carts of the market. In Ciudad Del Este I stayed at the brothers’ house in a quiet neighbor. It was only two miles away from the sisters’ house, in the industrial and commercial section. The order tries to keep the houses as close to each other as possible and still near the poorer areas of whatever city they reside. It is not always the case because of various reasons, but I have seen a good effort to optimize each location to their work.

Two nights before, I helped distribute bread and juice with the Fraternity to the shanty towns along the outer roads. In each city at least once a week the lay members and religious assemble for a “street mission” to go to the poor, in Paraguay they focus on the indigenous. The natives Guarani or “indigenous”, as they are called by other Paraguayans, live traditionally in the northwest region of this small and poor nation. Some seek a more modern life which is difficult as the more Spanish influenced people both celebrates and isolates their own native culture. It is a strange paradox that leaves the Guarani alienated and at times exploded in the larger industrialized cities.    

In Ciudad Del Este Paraguay five days a week a lunch is provided at the home of the sisters for any who are hungry. Men, women, and children wait at the gates around noon, and are welcomed in carefully as the Brothers send in small groups to sit and eat a preset meal of soup de Paraguay, a hard potato like root called mandioca, and bread. Today we are the kitchen crew and set to arrive around 9:30 AM.

We are greeted by Sister Veronica and have a small breakfast in the dining room. After breakfast we walk into a part of the house that looks to be a haste addition. It is a white walled room cut into a kitchen and a dining room by a wood framed wall paneled to face the dinning space and exposed in the kitchen. The room is heavy with the smell of fat, salt, and plywood which changes balance as we walk farther away from the small closed off kitchen and into the larger dinning space. It holds three long tables with the capacity for ten people each and an over flow with 12 chairs with no table in an L shape along the wall. The back wall is painted with the logo of the Fraternity and cartoony caricatures of the poor, the religious, and the associates add color to the dimly lit refectory.   

I opened a wide and short door into the courtyard and remembered seeing it when I first arrived, days before, all the way from the other side of the house. I wondered where it led at that time and now I stood enlightened at its threshold. The great courtyard had even more space.  A tent and table were set for about eight, and a grotto shaded by a grand tree offered plenty of space on the stone and concrete ground.

Fernando, a vocational who was about nineteen, gave me the task of cutting all the vegetables for the soup while he prepped the kitchen and cut the chickens for both stock and the meat. We didn’t speak the same language so communicated very short, but he gave a pure essence of quiet. Once the soup was assembled we set the tables, ordered the chairs, and took plates and cups out of large trash cans used for storage. At that moment six high school students in blue catholic school uniforms walked in and joined in to help. One of the girls spoke a little English and would explain the process of setting up to me. They wanted to be there and held a youthful energy, and if you have worked with motivated young adults you know the feeling.  Somehow, the Order of the Poor of Jesus seems to both fuel and draw from that energy. It is a young movement, but no matter the age, from teens to those in their 60’s, a force of spirit is obvious in all. Four girls that live in the sisters’ house discerning possible future vows also came to help, and a crowd formed.    

I faded back to take pictures and let the machine work so I could observe. It is a strange thing for me to not define my role in life as a worker. I realize at times my presence is best served to watch, and at other times I follow the urge to observe in action. It is a new experience for me, because I had never been good at backing up and taking something in. I thought without dirt on me I was loitering in life and it would pain me right where I thought my worth was, both to myself and other. Now amidst all the things I have learned here in South America was called to pause and to redefine my worth to myself. It has been unnerving, but I have only felt alone when the guides in my path took their leave in my best interest.

Through the fence I could see everyone filing the space in front of the gate.  

Brother Junipero reappeared and manned the latch at the door, and I stood on the bricks beside to position myself higher.  A group formed on our side and we waited for the signal to open the door. A yell came from the dining room, and the crowd outside pushed against the gate; Brother reached down to open the door. He could not find the right key and raised his high pitched voice to the arms that reached through the bars. I was directed to check for the correct key in the house as everyone worked to quiet the unease outside. I returned with a different set of keys and the gate was opened slowly by four of us. Brother Junipero stepped out to the sidewalk in front of the opening, three children wriggled and slid by him and jogged to the house.  The crowd pushed him against the side of the gate and he braced himself, glanced back, and started to pull young children and mothers into the courtyard in groups of four. Always a few more would slip in, but a since of order remained.

The older teenagers did not approve of his management, for them the world outside this moment is different, taking and pushing are strengths and patience is a weakness. They are raised by the street, to take care of themselves in the streets, that assertive essence only fulfills their immediate needs, beyond that they remain frustrated. They use drugs and alcoholic to medic themselves internally as many have been abused and used for the sex trade and drug trafficking. I was the surprised the night before last at the unconcerned bravado of these boys, who may be their fathers, pushed the children aside. Standing in the daylight I could see their soiled clothes hanging heavy on them.  I saw three of them break from the outside of the crowd and converge at the gate. Brother sternly held his arm out and rolled them off to the side and continued to control the flow. It was a steady flow as the inside filled and spilled into the courtyard.

The women and children sat alone taking up most of the inside and courtyard. The men sat in the grotto area where they were shaded by the large tree and huddled close to each other without much interest beyond their circles. The only time the men and women mixed inside the gate was when seconds were offered and the dining room overfilled in a mess of confusion.  When the confined bedlam broke up, the room cleared quickly, but the sickly sweet smell of unwashed bodies and the fatty chicken soup was choking. Scattered on the floor and tables were chicken bones and discarded chucks of bread. One of the boys walked by and chucked his chicken bone behind his back on is way out. The room radiated filth and for a moment I was filled with anger wrapped in a feeling of ownership. I wanted to comment and yet I paused without a solution and turned to the courtyard. I look out and noticed a little baby walking alone in nothing but a heavy diaper, a thin layer of dirt covered the child and a little boy came and got the baby. I watched the two walk back to their group in the courtyard and then scanned those who remained. 

How could the mothers bath their children? How did anyone clean themselves? As I could see, there was no water supply that was clean and plentiful. The little clean water was for drinking.  

I have seen bags of trash thrown causally out of car windows in Paraguay as if that was where it went.  I wondered if for many of the Paraguayan people and the government limited in resources if the issue has remained long enough that the common belief was, “well that is just where they go”.  There is no sanitation, limited services, and few able or willing to assist these cast aside refugees in their own county.

I turned back into the dining room and my anger was gone, but a stronger thought remained. They live in the trash of the streets, how is this floor any different than in their tiny plywood homes. They are acting no differently here than anywhere, resolved to the same fate as any repressed people that a society allow as acceptable.

I knew a man in Kansas City named Michael who was homeless and lived in the street. He explained that he lived in the streets all over the United States and would talk to me about the Bible. I simplify to call him a street evangelist, but that was always his main focus of conversation. He very emphatically pointed out that some people must be snatched from destruction and held until they can stand on their own. In most of my experience that is rarely the case if the other does not first lift their arm and make a small even unconscious choice to change. In observing the cast aside natives in the cities of Paraguay, I see that little remains but to lift them out of the side of the road. The meals provided by the sisters’ opens a door and the trust grows as the community learns the sisters are no there to take. So many have taken from them in the past and then tossed them back to the street. It is diligent work and only grows fruit if love is present, the patient love to proceed without thanks or immediate results.       

 Some  of the lay associates and the indigenous childern 
 The sisters and children in a sing along after bread and juice
 One of the Market Streets in Ciudad de Este
 Fernando making the soup
 The gate of the sisters house
 Dinning Room in the sisters house
 Paraguay Boy
 Two photos of Brother Junipero at the Gate

No comments:

Post a Comment